Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Interactivity Important for Online Classes

This post was written by my close friend Kyle Lammert

As a part of my undergraduate courses, I took a class online. This was incredibly convenient for me, since I was a commuter student; the least time I had to spend on campus, the better. I had hughes net in CA at the time; I don't think I would have wanted to do it with dial-up. Something high-speed is really necessary with all those file downloads so you definitely want good satellite internet service if you plan on doing it.

The class was in "business management". I think that honestly I could have taken this class any way it was offered and gotten straight A's even if I didn't go to class. It was all common sense. I kind of think that if you've done any reading of the management nonfiction titles that have come out in the last few years, any class on business management will seem old hat. On the up side, I was able to be really helpful to some of my classmates by recommending that this concept was explained better in a book they could pick up at the library. The content was mostly provided in text, but we had to upload assignments every week.

Would I do it again? I don't know. The convenience mattered more to me than other considerations at the time. If I did it again, I'd look for a class that had more of an interactive component, like video lectures and chat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Credits

Femikey